Brain droppings from the TMK crew. Read, reply, repeat.
If you've got something cool, interesting, funny, or weird about Mario, let us know and we might post it here!
Note: Click a headline for a permanent link to the article.
September 1, 2016
Mario news round-up from today's Nintendo 3DS Direct 11:35:02 PM CT
Nintendo announced three more games starring Mario and friends during the Nintendo 3DS Direct earlier today.
Super Mario Maker for Nintendo 3DS - New additions to this version include interactive lessons and 100 built-in courses. Unfortunately, a small number of course-creation tools from the original won't be available (exact number unknown), and there's no online sharing, but players can download "select courses from the Wii U version," according to a press release from Nintendo. Players can start making Marios on Nintendo 3DS on December 2 in both the U.S. and Europe.
Mario Sports Superstars - The latest Mario sports game will support local and online multiplayer for each of its five sports: baseball, golf, horse racing, soccer, and tennis. Mario Sports Superstars will sit on the sidelines until Spring of next year.
Poochy & Yoshi's Woolly World - Yoshi's Woolly World is coming to the 3DS with added stages made just for Poochy. This version is set to release on February 3 in both the U.S. and Europe.
amiibo - In amiibo news, a yarn Poochy figure will release alongside Poochy & Yoshi's Woolly World on February 3.
Nintendo 3DS Direct 9.1.2016 (NOA)
August 26, 2016
Waluigi Song on Ukulele 01:09:07 AM CT
If you enjoy Waluigi, live vocal music, and ukuleles, you might enjoy Waluigi -- possibly the only song ever written about everyone's favorite weird purple quasi-plumber!
Yes, I've added it to the WTMK stream. Feel free to buy a copy anyway, and support young musicians (like my sister).
Link: "Waluigi" from Catherine Dayton: Live Recordings
July 15, 2016
July 2016 - the 35th Anniversary of the Mario series! 07:12:39 AM CT
Donkey Kong was released in July of 1981, making this the 35th anniversary of the Mario gaming series! That's right -- Mario is now old enough to become president of the USA!
How will you be celebrating the 35th anniversary of Mario's first video game, Donkey Kong?
(Feel free to tune into WTMK -- we're running a 35th anniversary playlist!)
June 19, 2016
Mario news from E3 2016 10:49:44 PM CT
Though Nintendo's main focus for this year's E3 was The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, they still had some announcements ready for Mario and friends.
* Mario Party Star Rush was announced for Nintendo 3DS. This party starts in Europe on October 7, and in North America on November 4.
* Announced earlier this year, Paper Mario: Color Splash now has a release date set for October 7 in both North America and Europe.
* The Super Mario series of amiibo will soon expand to include Boo, Daisy, Diddy Kong, Donkey Kong, Rosalina, Waluigi, and Wario. All seven will launch in North America on November 4. In Europe, four of them (Boo, Donkey Kong, Rosalina, and Wario) will launch on October 7, followed by the other three (Daisy, Diddy Kong, and Waluigi) on November 4.
Link: Nintendo @ E3 2016
June 10, 2016
A talented fellow has been busy beating a variety of games and challenges using his feet and a large, metal, arcade-style DDR dance pad. Recently, he completed Super Mario 3D World's Champion's Road using these unusual gaming implements. Watch and be amazed!
Link: YouTube - [DDR Highlight] - CHAMPION'S ROAD HAS BEEN STOMPED!!! (Warning: some non-work/child friendly language)
Link: Peekingboo's Twitch Channel
The British magazine Sci-Fi Now recently published an interview with Rocky Morton, co-director of the Super Mario Bros. movie. Rocky, who shared directing duties with Annabel Jankel, answered questions and provided insights into the difficulties behind the scenes.
"Danny De Vito turned us down"
"We were with CAA, the agency, and our agent set over the script for Super Mario Bros. and I read it and I hated it, but I sort of loved the concept for it. I said to Annabel, I said, This script is terrible but I think this could be our Batman!"
"I had to stand by with the new script, obviously, and tell them that it was great when I knew it wasnt."
These, and many more exciting bits of trivia, can be found over at Sci-Fi Now!
Link: Sci-Fi Now: Super Mario Bros.'s Rocky Morton: 'It was a harrowing experience' - Director Rocky Morton had the worst time making Super Mario Bros.
March 3, 2016
Mario news round-up from today's Nintendo Direct 10:52:35 PM CT
Here's a quick recap of the Mario news from today's Nintendo Direct.
* Paper Mario: Color Splash was announced for Wii U, and is planned for release sometime this year.
* On March 9, Super Mario Maker will receive an update that adds new course elements: Skewers (first seen in Super Mario World), Keys, Key Doors, and Pink Coins (collect all five Pink Coins to make a Key appear). Also, a Super Expert mode will be added to the 100 Mario Challenge.
* Mini Mario & Friends: amiibo Challenge is coming to North America for Wii U and 3DS. It will be free to download, but you'll need a compatible amiibo to play. Early access begins March 25 (amiibos from participating retailers will include download codes), which is just over one month before it hits the Nintendo eShop on April 28.
* The Wii U version of Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games is set for release on June 24.
* Super NES Virtual Console on 3DS starts today, but only for the New Nintendo 3DS models. Super Mario World, Pilotwings, and F-Zero are now available on the eShop. The next wave hits on March 24, with Super Mario Kart, Donkey Kong Country, and EarthBound. April 14 will see the release of Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest, Super Metroid, and The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past.
Nintendo Direct 3.3.2016 video (NOA)
January 9, 2016
WTMK Presents: The Least Played Mario Tunes of 2015 03:55:17 AM CT
WTMK is now featuring the least played Mario tunes of 2015. Tune in and see what everyone missed!
Link: WTMK - All Mario, All the Time.
November 3, 2015
NES Press Releases and Documents 01:17:57 AM CT
Collector Steven Lin is in the process of scanning and releasing a large number of documents from the launch of the NES in the USA. Perhaps more light can be shed on the release date of Super Mario Bros.
Link: Steven Lin's Twitter (https://twitter.com/stevenplin)
October 26, 2015
Spooky Tunes on WTMK 12:49:59 AM CT
Eerie sounds have begun emanating from WTMK. All this week, tune in for some dark tones from the Mushroom Kingdom's Dark World.
Yes, that includes Ashley's theme.
Link: WTMK: All Mario Radio
September 18, 2015
Warp Zone #3: SMB 30th Anniversary Edition 11:19:12 AM CT
Welcome (back) to Warp Zone!
The 30th anniversary of Super Mario Bros. and the recent release of Super Mario Maker have spawned some interesting articles and videos. Here are some you might have missed:
Here's What Super Mario Bros.' Creators Think of Super Mario Maker (time.com)
Super Mario Bros. creators Shigeru Miyamoto and Takashi Tezuka talk about how Super Mario Maker started and how it might affect future Nintendo consoles.
With 'Mario Maker,' Nintendo relinquishes control (bigstory.ap.org)
Though this one is a bit shorter, it's still worth a read, and not just because it calls the game "Mario Marker" once.
Interview: Yosuke Oshino On The Origins And Evolution Of Super Mario Maker (nintendolife.com)
An interview with Yosuke Oshino, director of Super Mario Maker.
Mario Maker's Makers On The Added Super Prefix, Mario Paint, And LittleBigPlanet (gameinformer.com)
GameInformer recently reposted this interview from June, which is when "Mario Maker" was renamed to "Super Mario Maker."
Super Mario Bros. 30th Anniversary Special Interview (youtube.com)
In this nearly 10-minute-long video from Nintendo, Miyamoto and Tezuka show some design documents from the original SMB. It also includes some footage from the late 1980's with Miyamoto and other Nintendo staff showing more old SMB stuff.
Super Mario's makers play Super Mario Maker (youtube.com)
Eurogamer's video of Miyamoto and Tezuka editing a course in Mario Maker.
Miyamoto on World 1-1: How Nintendo made Mario's most iconic level (youtube.com)
Another video from Eurogamer. Miyamoto and Tezuka share some interesting details about designing SMB's World 1-1 and creating the Goomba.
September 10, 2015
Miyamoto takes on Mario myths 03:06:11 PM CT
Was Super Mario Bros. 3 just a play? Does Mario break bricks with his fist? Would you let Dr. Mario operate on you? Mario creator Shigeru Miyamoto answers these questions and more in Nintendo UK's video, Mario Myths with Mr Miyamoto, posted today on YouTube.
Though some of the questions are silly, and the answers are mostly yes-or-no, I always find it interesting when Miyamoto is asked these kinds of questions. It's too bad only eight questions were asked -- here's hoping for another "Mario Myths" interview sometime soon!